3450 Day 7
- At 11:59--Ex. 2 Blog, early draft
Due Next time:
- who will bring drafts for workshop?
- Ex. 3 personal essay with research—not academic!
Facebook and the problem of judging, or not judging, enough…
Northrop Frye’s Mythoi—structures and themes
Look at Dillard—surrealism and metaphors
Look at Cyclops—does this have a one thing more? Or is it a yarn?
Look at Nazi—“Keeper of the Flame”—what more could this piece have
- Research? Ex. 3
- More about Mathiesen?
- More personal detail?
Look at blogs from readings due today:
- the memory story teller
- the reflective story teller
- sensory detail?
- What makes a blog part of the media and technology landscape?
- What’s strong? What’s weak? Why?
Ex. 3 Personal Essay with Research
- Ex. 3: A short, personal non-fiction that needs some research. Choose a prompt or vignette in your journal, an image, a story, a bit of dialogue, something that needs or could use research, then start writing and researching (or researching then writing). Do not write an academic essay! Be sure you are thinking of your overall persona/voice, your reflective voice, and make the research “personal.” 3000-4000 words. See some of the problems with Best 2013 “Keeper of the Flame,” and with Jenny Lawson’s Bloggess piece “I Can’t” Feb. 14, 2016.