3450 Day 4
Web Calendar Readings and Assignments due Jan. 21
- Canvas doesn’t have readings—readings are only available on our Web Calendar
- For the 21st and 26th start reading Touchstones (in English dept. CB407--$7 for newest issue)
- Sometimes there are readings as links on the web, so you also have to go to the web calendar for the links
- The most up to date assignment details are also on the Web Calendar
- Don’t ask me in April where the web calendar is—ask questions now
Work due to Canvas tonight and Jan. 21
- Jan 19th Ex. 1 part 1—turning yourself into a character; and part 2—the pivotal moment story—300 words due by 11:59pm tonigh
- Jan. 21, more pf Part 2 due to Canvas Ex. 1 Part 2
Discoveries when you started looking for patterns and quirks in your identity?
- What voice could emerge from this?
- Voice is the tone of your writing, often most strongly seen in the reflective POV (vs. the memory POV)
- The younger voice, the voice of memory in the moment
- The older voice looking back without naivete—Lopate loc. 515: “many of my students value innocence more highly than I do: they often write what are, to me, sentimental essays about wishing they were kids again”
- Lopate, Phillip (2013-02-12). To Show and to Tell: The Craft of Literary Nonfiction (Kindle Locations 525-526). Free Press. Kindle Edition.
- Other voices?
- The older, reflective voice often gives an essay many thematic lines as they look back and realize things…
Voice Notes—what is your smarter, less naïve voice, the one that can look back and comment, or think thematically, or draw interesting threads through your main memory?
Your Voice(s) thus far
- The mother—throws the cigarette out the door; she offers a scotch
- The ya ya—smelly, old person wearing black
- Satirical, sardonic, older, reflective voice looking back most of the time
Highway of Lost Girls: Venessa Veselka
- A much more serious voice
- The 16 year old vs. the older self reflecting back—usually this is where thematic lines come from
- 16 year old self has a list of 5 red flags
- Older self knows there are more than 5 red flags
- Older self knows memory is a wavery thing…so does the state supreme court of New Jersey—memory isn’t a video