3450 Day 10
Due today: Michael’s story gets handed out to workshop next time
Due next time: Landon’s story will be handed out next time? Check readings on the Web calendar
True Detective—kind of a yarn, but what is the reflective part of the story?
- A kind of yarn about finding the person who’s leaving shit on the towels…
- When Sedaris wants to change his identity and colors his hair?
- When someone steals the father’s coins?
- When the mom goes into her room for private time with her wig?
- It’s such a tiny story where nothing really happens, but it is significant because the author has made it significant—“don’t be like me” the narrator pleads in his head
- It turns out to be a tiny and rather insignificant moment in his mother’s life where she feels a bit free, a bit glamorous
Robert Frost echoes Lopate: “A poem is about one thing, and one thing more.”
Emily’s story—a story also about telling stories
Camille’s story—what is reality?